Thursday, June 1, 2017

Infographics

My principal just held our “End of Year Successes” faculty meeting, where she called attention to the accomplishments of each department, so when I mentioned the infographic assignment to our school librarians, they immediately offered to share their “success” information with me to use in for the infographic…if I let them use it for their county library meeting this summer. Hopefully I did not disappoint them!

I used the infographic tool Canva and chose one of their free templates to create the infographic. Using the information provided by my school’s librarians, I inserted relevant information into the template, adjusting the design and layout as needed.

Canva is a fairly easy tool to use when creating your own infographic, as they provide numerous free templates to get you started, as well as access to their image database. It was a little overwhelming to see the vast number of tools available for use on Canva, but after playing with each of them, I started to feel more comfortable. When having students utilize this tool, it will be important to provide them plenty of time to explore the variety of tools available to them and how they can manipulate the templates to better display their data. For instance, I opted to leave the background and overall design of the infographic as it appeared in the template; however, I did adjust the font and sizing, as well as some of the layout to better fit my needs.

My only issue with Canva’s image database was that the “free” images were all somewhat boring and the ones that caught my eye were all ones you had to pay for. This was a little frustrating and somewhat limiting, as I wanted the infographic to be representative of how awesome our school library is, but I also did not want to have to pay for each and every image I used.


6 comments:

  1. Melissa, this is great! I'm inspired to finish mine now. Thank you for posting early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was initially a little worried about making an infographic (had NO idea where to begin), but once I played around with the templates, it was so much easier than I anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your infographic and I think it's fantastic that it's going to be used at a meeting! It's very simple, professional, and eye-catching. Also, congratulations to your school for their many successes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your infographic. The black and yellow really popped. I haven't tried playing with it yet, so I hope it's as easy as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you put all of the information together. The information is interesting to read because of your color and image choices in the infographic.

    ReplyDelete