Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Book Review: The Dressmaker's Dowry

With only a few weeks left before both teaching and graduate school start again, I figured now was a good opportunity to try and read a few of the books that have been on my "to be read" list for awhile. This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for the past few months and I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner!


The Dressmaker's Dowry by Meredith Jaeger

Review: I absolutely adored Meredith Jaeger's debut novel. Set in San Francisco, each chapter alternated between two points of view: Hannelore (Hanna), a German immigrant working as a seamstress in 1876, who worked to create a better life for her three younger siblings and hopefully escape their abusive father; and Sarah, a freelance journalist working on her master's thesis in present day, who is married to the son of a socially prominent family. When Sarah stumbles upon a news article about two seamstresses who were believed to be murdered, one of whom is Hanna, she sets out trying to solve the 100+ year old mystery.

Both Sarah and Hanna's narratives were beautifully written and provided vivid characters that popped off the page. As the mystery of what happened to Hanna unfolded, and how it impacted Sarah, I found myself tearing through the pages wanting to know what happened next.

The dual points of view offered a unique look at the juxtaposition of the lives of the poor immigrants and more affluent families living in San Francisco in the late-1800s as compared to today with the tech boom forcing many to relocate to more affordable areas. I really appreciated how in-depth Jaeger's research was as it helped to weave the story that was both heartwrenching and heartwarming.
Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment